Have you got any bread left over from yesterday that you don’t know what to do with? Here’s a great idea: you can prepare a typical country dish, made of breadcrumbs. It’s a traditional recipe found in practically all of Spain, although the recipe varies depending on the region. Perhaps it won’t appeal to you… but it’s truly delicious and also has a great many… calories! To help you digest it, what could go down better than a bottle of red wine?
INGREDIENTS: (for 4 people)
- 1 loaf of stale (one-day-old) bread, with a lot of substance.
- 100 grams of fatty bacon
- 100 grams of chorizo or ham
- 2 dry red peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Cut the bread into tiny pieces and dampen in a little water, salt and paprika. Cover the breadcrumbs with a cloth and leave to stand for 12 hours.
- Fry the crushed garlic and sliced peppers in 4 tablespoonfuls of oil and then drain.
- Fry the diced bacon in the same oil. Then lightly fry the chorizo or ham, and drain off the fat.
- Leave 1 tablespoonful of oil in the pan and fry the bread for about 2 minutes.
- Add the bacon and chorizo and fry lightly until the bread is golden, stirring constantly.
- Garnish with the fried garlic and peppers and serve.
- Eat together with fried eggs.