- 6 potatoes, peeled (red or small yukon gold)
- 1/2 onion, chopped (red or white)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- 6 eggs
- Olive oil (enough to cover potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons milk (adds a little fluffiness)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Slice potatoes thinly.
- Add olive oil to a deep 10″ frying pan, add potatoes, chopped garlic, and red or white chopped onions.
- Make sure there is enough oil to cover potatoes.
- Saute uncovered until the potatoes are soft, but not brown.
- Drain oil.
- Save a couple tablespoons, discard the rest.
- A little before the potatoes are cooked, mix the eggs and milk.
- When potatoes are cooked and drained, add them to the eggs and milk mixture.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Season mixture with a bit of salt and lots of black pepper.
- Heat a 10″ non-stick frying and add the two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the potato and egg mixture and cook on low heat until the egg is set (fork will come out clean if inserted).
- Flip the tortilla using the lid of a large pan: Place lid over the frying pan; turn pan over; slide the tortilla cooked side up back onto the frying pan to finish cooking, just a couple of minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and let tortilla rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- May be served warm or at room temperature.
- Serve in pie like slices or cut into cubes if serving it to a larger crowd.
Note: rather than flipping the tortilla you can cook on top of the stove until the egg is set on the bottom and then transfer the pan to a 400 degree oven to finish.