This dish comes from the Canary Islands. It is a staple there, and goes with just about everything! Try it with “papas arrugadas” (small boiled potatoes with salt and lemon) for a Canary Island specialty! Delicious! It keeps well in the refrigerator, and is even better after a day or two. Serve at room temperature.
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 small dried chilies salt
- 3-4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I like smokey)
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water, as needed (about)
- Using a mortar and pestle, mash cumin, garlic, and chilis with salt.
- The mixture should be mashed well.
- Add paprika, vinegar and oil, and continue to blend.
- Add bread crumbs and mash.
- Gradually add water until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with Spanish cheese (Majorero is nice), or over boiled potatoes, with crusty french bread, on fried fish, Anything goes!