Once you make this a few times, you won’t even need a recipe. Just taste as you go, adding more sugar, wine, or club soda to your taste. Choose a dry, young, inexpensive red wine for sangria. Make the sangria the night before serving as it needs at least 8 hours in the fridge to chill and to allow the fruit to blend with the wine. For maximum refreshment, be sure to serve it ice cold.
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar, more or less to taste
- 2 Tbs. rum, more or less to taste
- 1 orange, squeezed for juice
- 1 orange, washed and cut into thin slices
- 1 lemon, washed and cut into thin slices
- 1 peach, washed and cut into thin slices
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups club soda, chilled
- Ice cubes for serving
- Combine all ingredients in large pitcher or punch bowl with ice or chill overnight.
- Serve over ice. Garnish with frosty (nearly frozen) fruits and long slivers of fresh orange peel.
- Sparkling wine or a champagne may be substituted. Can also be served over a scoop of rainbow or orange sherbet.